Risotto is one of the most typical Italian dishes since a long time ago, as its delicious aroma and flavor are still able to surprise any palate. For people trying to keep a healthy lifestyle it is an excellent meal, since it can be easily prepared at home without having to worry about fats.
A delicious and healthy meal
One of the healthiest dishes that comes from Italian cuisine is risotto, whose word comes from riso which means rice in Italy. This is a good option to taste at home if you want to prepare a delicious and healthy meal, especially if you are engaged in physical activities.
Today you can get high quality rice to prepare risotto, such as Arborio Rice | Risotto Rice Product | RiceSelect®, along with fresh ingredients and make it in a wide variety of preparations. So enjoying a typical Italian meal that brings so many benefits is worth the time in the kitchen.
A staple with many benefits
Rice is a staple that contains a variety of nutrients, such as magnesium, vitamin B6, zinc, copper, phosphorus, vitamin D, iron, thiamine, potassium, among others. It is a very good energy source for the body, thanks to the carbohydrates intake, which acts as an essential fuel for the body, particularly for people who exercise on a daily basis.
It also does not contain harmful fats or bad cholesterol, so it is a great ally for diets focused on weight loss, and since it is rich in insoluble fiber, rice reduces sodium concentration, making an ideal food for people suffering from hypertension.
No need to be a chef
Risotto is a very complete dish, this means that its healthy contributions not only come from rice, but also for the rest of ingredients, such as mushrooms, meats, salads, spinach, cheese or sausage, this makes it a very versatile recipe in the supply of nutrients.
Given the variety of risotto preparations that exist, it can be made with the ingredients that you like the most, and whose nutrients are necessary to improve health. Ad what’s better: no too much cooking experience required.
A recipe you must try
Now that we know the health benefits of risotto, you can prepare it at home with a simple recipe, without being an expert in cooking, and get a delicious result. Thanks to this you can add to your diet in many ways a food as important as rice.
- 3 and a half cups of fat-free, sodium-reduced chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- Two teaspoons of olive oil.
- A finely chopped medium onion.
- Two chopped garlic cloves.
- A cup of Arborio rice.
- A teaspoon of mixed dried herbs, you can also use Italian seasoning.
- Six ounces sliced cremini mushrooms.
- Six ounces of sliced shiitake mushrooms.
- Half a cup of dry white wine.
- Two cups of fresh spinach.
- A little fresh, chopped parsley.
Method of preparation
- In a saucepan, add the chicken or vegetable broth and heat it over medium-low heat, without boiling the broth. Cover the saucepan and leave it simmer over low heat.
- Sauté the onions first and add the garlic a minute later in a skillet with olive oil, until they get slightly golden, which can take about three to five minutes. Avoid the garlic from getting too browned.
- Add the rice and sauté for one minute, stirring frequently to prevent it from sticking.
- Sprinkle the dried herbs and place the cremini and shiitake mushrooms. Sauté all the mixture until the mushrooms start to release their juice, this may take about five or eight minutes.
- Place the white wine and stir to cover all the ingredients.
- When the wine is absorbed for the most part, place a cup of hot stock and stir. Wait until all the broth is absorbed to add a second cup. Keep on stirring constantly.
- Before adding the last cup and a half of broth, add the spinach, and stir well to mix all the ingredients.
- When all the broth has been absorbed, sprinkle some fresh parsley. It is ready to serve.
Following these steps it is possible to enjoy a quick and easy mushroom risotto, a dish that is worth trying if you want to eat something tasty and nutritious.