With the surfing season underway, we will be presenting one surfing legend after the other. This week we’re presenting surfing legend Kelly Slater; 11-time Surfing World Champion and winner of 51 ASP World Tour events in his career.
Slater was born in Cocoa Beach, Florida, on February 11, 1972. Twenty years later, in 1992, Kelly Slater won his first World Title ranking 1st on the World Surf League. The athlete is still one of the top surfers in the world, currently ranking 11th for 2016.
Kelly Slated ranked 1st on the World Surf League 11 times in total in: 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011.
Besides his extraordinary surfing skills, Slater is also known for his community work as a fundraiser and spokesperson raising awareness for suicide prevention. He has participated in surfing celebrity events for the non-profit organisation Surfers Against Suicide. The athlete has lost friends to suicide and is now using his fame to raise awareness on a wonderful cause.
Things you probably didn’t know about Kelly Slater:
- In his free time, he plays his guitar and enjoys composing sonnets.
- In the 1990s, Slater with Rob Machado and Peter King (also Pro Surfers) formed the band The Surfers. In 1998, they released their album called “Songs from the Pipe” – referring to the world renowned surf spot in Oahu, Hawaii, the Pipeline.
- Slater also starred in various surf films and also played Jimmy Slade on 27 episodes of the famous TV show Baywatch.
Favorite surf spots:
- Mondos in Ventura, California
- Kirra in Australia
- Jeffreys Bay in South Africa
- Taghazout in Morocco
- Soup Bowls in Barbados
- Pipeline in Oahu, Hawaii
- and Sebastian Inlet near his home in Florida, where he still resides.
We’ll leave you enjoy the surfing legend Kelly Slater and his perfect “10” score about a month ago in Cloudbreak, for WSL’s 2016 Fiji Pro.