Mountain Biking in Barking Frog Loop, Houghton,
Ascent - Descent:
+ 10.97 m/36 ft - 10.36 m/34 ft
Houghton is in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and the largest city of Copper County. It is also in the list of the “100 Best Small Towns in America”. Houghton is surrounded on the east by Portage Township and Pilgrim, on the south by Hurontown and Isle Royale Location and on the west by Dakota Heights. The area is ideal for varied winter as well as summer sports, such as ice hockey, snowmobiling, hiking, sea kayaking, sailing, mountain biking etc.
Upper Peninsula is one of the most dominating places for biking. Barking Frog Loop is one of the many biking routes in Houghton. It hangs far of Hairy Toad Loop and has a natural rocky surface, yet it loosens a little, opening up the corners and concluding in grasslands. Then it descents into cedar woods and crosses a wet woodland on a series of narrow boardwalks, with one of them curved, before returning to Hairy Toad Loop.
It is flatter than Hairy Toad and that’s why it is considered as a great start for this kind of riding. You can just ride out on the Isle Royale ski trail, which crosses Frog right near its start and finish. So for all the mountain biking fanatics, Barking Frog Loop rides nice both ways!
How to Get to Destination
FROM Land O' Lakes, Wisconsin
137.8km/ 85.3mi, 1 hour 37 mins
1. Head north on Pine St to County Road B.
2. Turn right onto (v) County Road B.
3. Turn left into (v) State Hwy 32 N / U.S. 45-N / WI-32 N.
Continue to follow the US-45 N. Entering Michigan.
4. Turn right at (n) M-N on the 26th.
5. Turn right at (n) on the 26th M-N / M-38 E. Continue to follow the M-26 N.
6. Turn right at (n) W Sharon Ave.
7. Turn right onto (v) Co. Rd P-651 / Main St / Superior Rd.
8. Turn left into (v) Co. Rd P-102 / Paradise Rd.
9. Take the first turn left into Superior Rd.
10. Take the first turn right into Pilgrim Rd.
FROM Marquette, Michigan
159km/ 98.8mi, 1 hour 53 mins
1. Head west on W Michigan St toward N 4th St.
2. Take the first turn left onto N 4th St.
3. Take the 3rd right turn at W Washington St.
4. Turn right at (n) -M on the 28th W / U.S. 41 N. Continue to follow the US 41 N.
5. Turn left into the (n) Denton Rd.
6. Turn right onto (v) Co. Rd P-102 / Paradise Rd.
7. Slight right to Pilgrim Rd.
FROM Escanaba, Michigan
254.28km/ 158mi, 2 hours 57 mins
1. Head east on S 12th St.
2 Take the first turn left onto S 12th St.
3. Take the 1st left turn in Ludington St.
4. Proceed to U.S. on the 2nd-W / U.S. 41 S.
5. Turn right at (n) M-69 W / Old U.S. 41. Continue to follow the M-69 W.
6. Turn right at (n) M-69 W / M-95 N.
7. Turn left into the (n) M-69 W.
8. Turn right at (n) N 4th St.
9. Take the first turn left into Crystal Ave.
10. Proceed to U.S. 141-N / U.S.-W on the 2nd.
11. Turn right onto (V) U.S. 141-N.
12. Turn right at (n) -M on the 28th E / U.S. 141-N.
13. Turn left into the (N) U.S. 41 N.
14. Turn left at (n) Denton Rd.
15. Turn right onto (v) Co. Rd P-102 / Paradise Rd.
16. Slight right to Pilgrim Rd.
Houghton County Memorial Airport,
11.27km / 7 mi
Sawyer International Airport,
175km / 109 mi.
There is no train serving this spot.
If you are interested in trying out this amazing sport in this spot press the request button so as to give you more information and prices.