Rock Climbing in Rated P.G., Houghton,
10.67 m / 35 ft
Intermediate - Advanced
Houghton is in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and the largest city of Copper County. It is also in the list of the “100 Best Small Towns in America”. Houghton is surrounded on the east by Portage Township and Pilgrim, on the south by Hurontown and Isle Royale Location and on the west by Dakota Heights. The area is ideal for varied winter as well as summer sports, such as ice hockey, snowmobiling, hiking, sea kayaking, sailing, mountain biking etc.
One of the many recreations one can have in Keweenaw Peninsula and particularly in Houghton, surely is climbing. You can choose among a variety of areas with crags and outcroppings, also for beginners and more experienced climbers, many of them viewing the world’s largest freshwater lake.
The major climbing area is on the west side of Cliff Drive and one of its classic and most famous routes is Rated P-G. It is located on the top of the Ice Fall Area and is considered to be one of the classic sport climbs. The difficulty starts right from the beginning with a little overhung inclination on the right and continues with a small in-cut edge on the left.
When the ridge is gained, the difficulty is surpassed. Now follow some thin moves to the next overhang. The holds that follow are more confident. It is an excellent place to practice your favorite sport and offers a peaceful wilderness setting!
How to Get to Destination
FROM Land O' Lakes, Wisconsin
137.60km/ 85.5 mi, 1 hour 38 mins
1. Head north on Pine St to County Road B.
2. Turn right onto (v) County Road B.
3. Turn left into (v) State Hwy 32 N / U.S. 45-N / WI-32 N. Continue to follow the US-45 N. Entering Michigan.
4. Turn right at (n) M-N on the 26th.
5. Turn right at (n) on the 26th M-N / M-38 E. Continue to follow the M-26 N.
6. Proceed to W Montezuma Ave.
7. Turn left into the (N) College Ave.
8. Proceed to Shelden Ave.
FROM Marquette, Michigan
160.45km/ 99.7mi, 1 hour 49 mins
1. Head west on W Michigan St toward N 4th St.
2. Take the first turn left onto N 4th St.
3. Take the 3rd right turn at W Washington St.
4. Turn right at (n) -M on the 28th W / U.S. 41 N. Continue to follow the US 41 N.
FROM Merrill, Wisconsin
275.20km/ 171mi, 3 hours 17 mins
1. Head east on E Main St toward S Center Ave.
2. Take the first turn left onto Co. Rd K / S Center Ave. Continue to follow the Co Rd K.
3. Turn left to merge on Hwy 51 N / U.S. 51 N.
4. Take exit US-8 to Prentice / Rhinelander.
5. Turn right at (n) -the 8th U.S. E.
6. Turn right at (n) -the 8th U.S. E / WI-47 S.
7. Turn left into (v) State Trunk Highway N on the 17th.
8. Turn right onto (v) the 17th State Trunk Highway N / WI-70 E / Wisconsin 70 Trunk E.
9. Turn left into the (N) U.S. 45-N / Willow St. Continue to follow the US-45 N. Entering Michigan.
10. Turn right onto (v) the 26th M-N.
11. Turn right at (n) -the 26th M N / M-38 E. Continue to follow the M-26 N.
12. Proceed to W Montezuma Ave.
13. Turn left into the (N) College Ave.
14. Proceed to Shelden Ave.
Houghton County Memorial Airport,
11.27km / 7 mi
Sawyer International Airport,
175km / 109 mi.
There is no train serving this spot.
If you are interested in trying out this amazing sport in this spot press the request button so as to give you more information and prices.