Rock Climbing in Obsession, Cliff Drive, Houghton,
28.96 m / 95 ft
15 min by foot
Houghton is located in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and bordered on the east by Portage Township and Pilgrim, on the south by Hourontown and Isle Location and on the west by Dakota Heights. It is named after a copper discoverer Douglas Houghton. Many immigrants, European and Canadian arrived at the area to work in the copper mines and influenced its culture and cuisine. Houghton’s location is ideal for many outdoor recreations such as hockey, snowmobiling, hiking, mountain and road biking, climbing etc.
One can be amazed by the variety of recreations and activities that take place in Keweenaw Peninsula, where you can find climbing areas hidden back in the woods or others facing the world’s largest freshwater lake. Crags and challenging outcroppings make the routes from moderate to difficult climbs for all tastes and skills.
Cliff Drive in Keweenaw County is an isolated basalt cliff with crags and edges that offers an amazing climbing experience. One of the classic routes in the area is Obsession, located 0.5 mi (0.8 km) south of the north connection of Cliff Drive. The route begins at the base of the Obsession shore and moves up the little v-gap in the bulge. A great and easily top-roped route!!!
How to Get to Destination
FROM Land O' Lakes, Wisconsin
137.60km/ 85.5 mi, 1 hour 38 mins
1. Head north on Pine St to County Road B.
2. Turn right onto (v) County Road B.
3. Turn left into (v) State Hwy 32 N / U.S. 45-N / WI-32 N.
Continue to follow the US-45 N. Entering Michigan.
4. Turn right at (n) M-N on the 26th.
5. Turn right at (n) on the 26th M-N / M-38 E. Continue to follow the M-26 N.
6. Proceed to W Montezuma Ave.
7. Turn left into the (N) College Ave.
8. Proceed to Shelden Ave.
FROM Marquette, Michigan
160.45km/ 99.7mi, 1 hour 49 mins
1. Head west on W Michigan St toward N 4th St.
2. Take the first turn left onto N 4th St.
3. Take the 3rd right turn at W Washington St.
4. Turn right at (n) -M on the 28th W / U.S. 41 N. Continue to follow the US 41 N.
FROM Merrill, Wisconsin
275.20km/ 171mi, 3 hours 17 mins
1. Head east on E Main St toward S Center Ave.
2. Take the first turn left onto Co. Rd K / S Center Ave. Continue to follow the Co Rd K.
3. Turn left to merge on Hwy 51 N / U.S. 51 N.
4. Take exit US-8 to Prentice / Rhinelander.
5. Turn right at (n) -the 8th U.S. E.
6. Turn right at (n) -the 8th U.S. E / WI-47 S.
7. Turn left into (v) State Trunk Highway N on the 17th.
8. Turn right onto (v) the 17th State Trunk Highway N / WI-70 E / Wisconsin 70 Trunk E.
9. Turn left into the (N) U.S. 45-N / Willow St. Continue to follow the US-45 N. Entering Michigan.
10. Turn right onto (v) the 26th M-N.
11. Turn right at (n) -the 26th M N / M-38 E. Continue to follow the M-26 N.
12. Proceed to W Montezuma Ave.
13. Turn left into the (N) College Ave.
14. Proceed to Shelden Ave.
Houghton County Memorial Airport,
11.27km / 7 mi
Sawyer International Airport,
175km / 109 mi.
There is no train serving this spot.
If you are interested in trying out this amazing sport in this spot press the request button so as to give you more information and prices.