Mountain Biking in Twilight Zone Loop, Houghton,
Ascent - Descent:
+ 58.83 m/193 ft - 58.22 m/191 ft
Houghton is located in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and is considered to be one of the “100 Best Small Towns in America”. The city’s culture and cuisine were influenced by the European immigrants, who reached the area to work in the copper mines. Houghton, due to its location, offers to visitors many recreational moments and a grand variety of sports, including hockey, snowmobiling, hiking, mountain biking and climbing.
There are many biking trails in Upper Peninsula, among them the Twilight Zone Loop. It is between Outer Limits Loop and Inner Peace Loop and also one the three concentric easy bermed and rollered loops on its biggest hill. The descent is rather bearable and as it raises, it moves through a number of bermed turns before turning into a flat zone. Afterwards it crosses the ski trail and seats high above Sandstone Creek.
A lot of speed and a few bermed turns with a big one of 90 degrees that makes the course aligned to Peepsock Creek. After trail climbs and sweeps along the hillside for some way, it leaves this creek and climbs back to the top. Then it crosses the ski trail, descents to the right and climbs up to a more demanding trail that ends to a flatter terrain. It flows slowly through flat stuff to the top, touches Outer Limits and returns to its start. Twilight Zone Loop guarantees great fun and both directions are equally worthy!!!
How to Get to Destination
FROM Hancock, Michigan
4.67km/ 2.9mi, 11 mins
1. Head west on Quincy St to Ravine St.
2. Take the first turn left onto Ravine St.
3. Take the first turn left onto Hancock St.
4. Proceed to Front St.
5. Proceed to M-twenty-six W / U.S. 41 S / Portage Canal Lift Bridge. Continue to follow the M-the 26th W / U.S. 41 S.
6. Turn left into the (N) U.S. 41 S.
7. Turn right at (n) Bridge St.
8. Continue to Military Rd.
9. Turn left into the (n) E Sharon Ave.
10. Turn left.
FROM Marquette, Michigan
159.81km/ 99.3mi, 1 hour 49 mis
1. Head west on W Michigan St toward N 4th St.
2. Take the first turn left onto N 4th St.
3. Take the 3rd right turn at W Washington St.
4. Turn right at (n) -M on the 28th W / U.S. 41 N. Continue to follow the US 41 N.
5. Turn left into the (n) Macinnes Dr.
6. Proceed to Sharon Ave.
7. Turn right.
FROM Escanaba, Michigan
255.89km / 159mi, 2 hours 54 mins
1. Head east on S 12th St.
2. Take the first turn left onto S 12th St.
3. Take the 1st left turn in Ludington St.
4. Proceed to U.S. on the 2nd-W / U.S. 41 S.
5. Turn right at (n) M-69 W / Old U.S. 41. Continue to follow the M-69 W.
6. Turn right at (n) M-69 W / M-95 N.
7. Turn left into the (n) M-69 W.
8. Turn right at (n) N 4th St.
9. Take the first turn left into Crystal Ave.
10. Proceed to U.S. 141-N / U.S.-W on the 2nd.
11. Turn right onto (V) U.S. 141-N.
12. Turn right at (n) -M on the 28th E / U.S. 141-N.
13. Turn left into the (N) U.S. 41 N.
14. Turn left at (n) Macinnes Dr.
15. Proceed to Sharon Ave.
16. Turn right.
Houghton County Memorial Airport,
11.27km / 7 mi
Sawyer International Airport,
175km / 109 mi.
There is no train serving this spot.
If you are interested in trying out this amazing sport in this spot press the request button so as to give you more information and prices.