Leucate is a commune, situated in the department of Aude in the region Languedoc-Roussillon, France. It is located at 130 km/80 mi in the south east of Montpellier, however still a thrilling destination of the Mediterannean Sea for kitesurfing enthusiasts.
- ABOUT THE SPOT
- RELEVANT ACTIVITIES & OFFERS
Kiteboarding / Kitesurfing in Noosa River Mouth, Sunshine Coast, Queensland Australia
The location, giving in Sunshine Coast, can be crowded, especially during the weekends. In order to regulate the kite-surfers circulation on the spot, a Noosa River Code of Conduct was developed to improve safety in the Noosa River Mouth after concerns were raised relating to traffic congestion and communication issues by members of the community.
Practitioners are requested to consult the Noosa River Code of Conduct, before heading to the spot to practice kite-surfing. The Venturi type of wind is most commonly observed on the spot. With a medium wind force, (16-25 kn/30-46.3 kph), the kite-surfers will come across a south east main wind direction. However the best wind direction, observed in the spot, is from northeast, ideal for free style kite-surfers. Water’s temperature varies from 22 to 25 °C/71.6 to 77 °F in the summer while it is decreased to 17 °C/62.6 °F in the winter. Thin wetsuit is needed during practicing in winter while the only protection you may need during summers is a rash vest against the sun.
The best period to visit and practice kite-surf on the spot is from September to January. Training centers, kite-surfing schools and gear rentals are also identified in the vicinity of the location, accommodation and leisure options as well.
Noosa River Mouth Kitesurf Code of Conduct
RESPECT THE SAFETY OF BOAT DRIVERS
BOATS have legal right of way crossing the Noosa bar. Danger of capsize or going aground means boat drivers must always have a clear uncompromising passage. Kite-surfers must:
* Be on the alert for approaching craft at all times, Listen and look
* Sail away from any approaching craft or halt kite-surfing until any craft are well past
* Never continue in a way that may alarm other craft
TIDE CURRENTS CAN BE STRONG !
Extra caution is advised for any water activity including swimming and kite-surfing in the tidal currents of Noosa Rivermouth.
N-NE WIND FROM 10-20 KNOTS AND OUTGOING TIDE
Are the suitable conditions for kite-surfing at the Noosa River mouth. In other conditions please consider other kite-surf locations.
NO KITE-SURFING ON MAIN BEACH
Only if its impossible to launch from spit beach can kite-surfers launch and land from main beach near the river-mouth rock groyne.
LAUNCHING – check the conditions carefully before launching
* Launch and land only when the kite pilot is standing in or next to the water
* Keep the drop zone and extra buffer area clear of any people and obstacles
* Seek assistance from other kite-surfers to launch, land and judge the weather
* Never use a kite to leap on land or when you are positioned away from the water
SAFE KITING – monitor wind, tide and surf as they may increase
* Maintain a 30m minimum distance-off from people, obstacles, rock walls at all times
* Look before you maneuver, be aware of and consider your surrounds and skill limits
* Avoid freestyle maneuvers and speeding in shallow water or within 50m of the shore
* Use a strong kite-leash and functional safety quick release, check both before and after every use
* Avoid shore birds by a distance greater than 90m (3x kite-line’s length)
* Keep your kite and board course steady when other kite-surfers are close or approaching
* Keep the car-park and grassed verge clear of kites and lines, never leave equipment unsupervised
* Represent our sport, clean up any litter, offer assistance without request, and SMILE.
Please ask local kiters or kite schools for advice.
Relevant activites based in Australia
December – AUSTRALIA
River Rafting Tour Class III / IV / V & outdoor experiences on Tully River.
Not an expedition. 21 Days – air travel not included.