Scuba Diving in Zingara Wreck, Puerto Plata Area,
Average Water Temperature:
Hispaniola Island is located in the northern Caribbean Sea. It is standing on the western side of Puerto Rico and south-east of Cuba. Hispaniola is divided into 2 nations. Dominican Republic is located on the eastern side of the island and Haiti on the western side. The capital of Dominican Republic is Santo Domingo.
Dominican Republic offers a large variety of dive sites. Zingara Wreck is an interesting dive site, not to be missed. This medium sized freighter was sunk in 1992 on the northern coast of Dominican Republic. It is also east of Sosua, a small town in the Puerto Plata province. The wreck is lying at a depth of 36 m/118.1 ft. While being located in the open ocean, the spot has an interesting marine life. Stone fish, moray eels, barracuda, just to mention some. Generally, it is a wreck seriously affected by currents, because of its location. The underwater visibility fluctuates between 10 m/32.8 ft and 30 m/98.4 ft.
The temperature of the water is pretty high. It actually averages 28°C/82.4°F. Moreover, the temperature is about 25°C/77°F all year round. Dominican Republic has a tropical climate. The wet season usually lasts from November to January on the northern coast. Zingara Wreck is a dive spot feasible to all levels of divers, as previous experience is not needed.
Finally, contact your diving school, because you may have the opportunity to try another spot, since each dive spot is very close to many others.
How to Get to Destination
FROM Gregorio Luperon International Airport Puerto Plata
7.4km/4.6miles, 10 minutes
Gregorio Luperon International Airport
1. Head west
2. Sharp left
3. Take the first left turn
the route of Route 5
4. Turn right
the route of Route 5
5. Turn left into the Lane 5
Go through Aferme Gas, Sosua.
FROM Cibao International Airport
77km/47.8miles, 1 hour 16 mins
Cibao International Airport
1. Head southwest
2. Exit the roundabout
3. Turn right
to the street Avenida Victor Manuel Espaillat
4. Turn left at Carretera Puñal Adentro
5. Slight right to Avenida Victor Manuel Espaillat
Go through the Adventure Rent A Car
(On your right 1.3 km away)
6. Keep right at the fork to continue towards Autopista Duarte
7. Slight right to Autopista Duarte. Go through the Estación de Gasolina Shell Las Palomas
(On your right at 5.2 miles)
9. Slight left
to the street Av Salvador Estrella Sadhalá
10. Take the exit to Av Salvador Estrella Sadhalá
11. Turn right onto Av Salvador Estrella Sadhalá.
Go through the Caribbean Cinemas Hollywood 7
(On your right)
12. Turn right onto Av Gregorio Luperón
13. Continue along Avenida Gregorio Luperón
14. Turn right at the Virgilio Espaillat
15. Take the first left turn
to Calle H
16. Turn left
to the street Calle 8
17. Turn left into the Calle 8
18. Turn right at the Avenida Gregorio Luperón
Go through the Banca Sanchez Sport
(On your left)
19. Continue along Ruta Panoramica Santiago - Puerto Plata
20. The Ruta Panoramica Santiago - Puerto Plata turns slightly right and becomes Carretera Turistica Gregorio Luperon.
Go through Yasika Zipline Center
(On your right at 18.2 miles)
21. Slight left at Ruta Panoramica Santiago - Puerto Plata. Go through Tubagua Plantation Eco Lodge
(On your left at 8.0 miles)
22. Sharp right to Lane 5
Pass by Shell SS230 Cañaveral.
Gregorio Luperon International Airport Puerto Plata,
Cibao International Airport,
No train services available on this spot.
If you are interested in trying out this amazing sport in this spot press the request button so as to give you more information and prices.