Kari Schibevaag or the Vikinga, like some people call her, is a tiny blond Norwegian girl that has found her passion in practicing sports. She is from Madla in Norway, 10 mins away from the Stavanger oil city. She has tried a lot of sports, but her career started in skiing at the age of 4. Finally, kitesurfing is what caught her full attention, both on water and snow.
Her success continues and she has managed to bring home many world champion titles. Kari is also the first and only kitesurfer that has achieved world champion titles in various disciplines in snow and on water. Kari has also been making hats for more than 13 years now. The hat collection is now called Reversible Schibevaag Beanies, and who knows what comes next in line for the Schibevaag collection.
Kari is always on the move and never sits still so if you’re wondering what she is up to, just check out her Blog link and see where she is in the world.
- 2007: 7th Overall Freestyle PKRA World Cup
- 2008: 4th Overall All Disciplines (water)
- 2008: 1st Snow kite Master
- 2009: 1st Norwegian Champion Snow
- 2009: 1st Overall World Cup Water
- 2009: 1st Overall World cup racing (water)
- 2009: 2nd Snow kite Maste, Freestyle
- 2009: 1st Overall World Cup Kiteloop
- 2009: 2nd Overall Freestyle water
- 2009: 2nd Overall World Cup Waves
- 2010: 1st World Championship race (water)
- 2010: 1st World Championship freestyle (snow)
- 2010: 1st World Championship Race (snow)
- 2010: 1st Snow kite master, Freestyle
- 2010: 2nd PKRA World Cup waves
- 2010: 2nd World cup Race (water)
- 2010: 2nd World cup Boarder Cross
- 2010: 1st Norwegian Champion waves and freestyle
- 2010: 4th Overall PKRA freestyle
- 2011: 1st PKRA World Master, waves
- 2011: 1st PKRA Kite Master
- 2011: 1st World Championship freestyle, snowboard, (snow)
- 2011: 1st Snow kite Master freestyle, ski and Snowboard
- 2011: 2nd World Championship race, (snow)
- 2011: The most influential girl kitesurfer 2011
- 2012: 1st Snow kite master Freestyle Ski
- 2012: 1st snow kite master freestyle snowboard
- 2012: 3rd KSP Hawaii, Waves
- 2012: 1st Spanish Championship, waves
- 2013: 1st Snow kite master Freestyle ski
- 2013: 1st Snow kite master Freestyle snowboard
- 2014: 1st Snow kite master Freestyle snowboard
I never have a lot of goals in my life. I always do what I think will be fun and what I would love to learn. I wanted to learn how to kite and with the competitions I got better and better and in the end at the top.
I still want to become a better kiter, but I also want to travel around the world with my camera to take pictures, videos and produce new products for my business http://kariland.com/
To clean the ocean from garbage.
It depends on the conditions you are riding in. If you are in a place with sun, good stable wind and flat water, it’s easy, but if you are in a place with gusty wind, big waves and cold then it’s a bit harder.
When I have a good session with big waves, strong wind and aid control. Then I can go home and feel good.
It can happen that I am alone all over the world, but mostly I have some friends to kite with. If I am alone, it has to be at home in Norway, Stavanger or Lofoten.
I spend hours training both in water and snow, but also watching videos on how to do what I want to learn. I was also lucky enough to get help from a better kiter than me, who helped me a lot to become better.
That I will not ride as good as I can.
Oda, my nephew from my brother’s side. She is the best girl in the world and she also wants to start kiting.
Listen to those who know.
I want to travel the world and become a better kiter, learn more about pictures and videos. I also want to build up my business Schibevaag.
But the most important thing is to have fun and do what makes me happy.