My name is Tasos Polykarpou and I was born in Cyprus. I started sports from a young age with scuba diving, climbing, hiking, swimming, kite surfing, paramotoring, BASE jumping and Skydiving. I decided to concentrate to few of them, so the last years I am BASE jumper, wingsuit pilot and Paramotor pilot.
I believe by focusing in a specific sport is helping me as an athlete to become good. The last years I am focused and do training in wingsuit that I love a lot. I am lucky enough because I am living in Cyprus, 340 days per year with perfect weather so I can train in good conditions.
I love the wingsuit performance and my targets are to be one of the best pilots in the world and to grow up knowledge for the wingsuit performance in my country, Cyprus.
Now I am 4th in the world, so for sure to be 1st in the wingsuit performance.
Difficulties that I face are mostly about the lack of training facilities in Cyprus and the specific requirements that must be met for efficient training.
When I overcome my fears and perform well.
I practice my sport techniques to Drop Zones all over the world mostly alone since this is a solo sport.
I am very concentrated and focused before the jump, during the jump and after the jump; it’s very important for me to visualize my fly before the jump and then it’s very important to debrief my jump.
All the procedures of the competition make me nervous but I am trying to manage it and enjoy the jump, because I love my sport and all my friends that I compete against.
I am planning to continue with my performance competitions and also to work on the new design of my suit and equipment.
After taking this course, you will be proficient in all of the following.
- LEVEL 2F
Enter and exit the water independently and safely while controlling the kite
Water re-launch the kite
Body drag downwind
Maintain correct kite position in the wind window
Change direction to the left and right while body dragging
Self-rescue and full pack-down in deep water
- LEVEL 2G
Upwind body drag to recover board
Upwind body drag holding the board with one hand
Enter and exit at the same point while upwind body dragging
- LEVEL 2H
Know the power stroke for a water start
Know the safety rules and theory for water start
Can put the board on the feet and maintain the correct position for water start
- LEVEL 2I
Water starts in both directions and ride a short distance
Come to a controlled stop
Understand weather forecast, tidal- and wind effects
Determine the wind strength, direction and quality
Know the right of way rules
Know equipment set up and choice according to the weather conditions
4 days 2 hours per day, 8 hours total 400€
Time required 3 hours, One Day
Entry Level: No experience Needed, Just Be able to swim!
The best way to discover kitesurfing! By the end you will be ready to move to the next step: getting up on the board! The first part of this program takes you through the steps of piloting a 4 line kite, on land and in the water. You also learn about safety and how important it is to the sport. Furthermore, you will be taken through the steps of equipment set up, launching and landing.
- Carry and set up the lines and kite.
- Fly a small kite on the wind window edge and maintain it close to the ground know how to stop the kite power in case of a problem
- Determine the wind direction, upwind and downwind
- Be aware that the kite leash must be worn at all times, before kite launching and until landing
- Be aware of the area where the kite can fall downwind to the pilot
- Recover the kite on land
- Position the kite on request from 9 to 3 o’clock on the wind window edge
- Launch a kite with assistance and choose the right angle in to the wind
- Fly the kite in the power area without crashing it
- Twist and untwist the lines while the kite flies
- Recover the kite and secure it on land
- Land a kite with the help of an assistant
- Fly a kite hooked to the harness
- Pilot hooked to the harness with one hand
- Activate the harness release system or quick release located on the leader line
- Perfom a down wind course by body dragging and using the power of the kite
- Relaunch a kite from the water
- Wind the lines in the water and recover the kite
- Perform a self-rescue in deep water
- Launch a kite alone on land Identify potential wind obstacles creating lift or down draft and be able to define the wind direction. Understand that the practice with onshore wind is dangerous